Installing Sensei is straight-forward and easy. For OPNsense, you can easily install Sensei through the OPNsense Plugin Manager (System -> Firmware -> Plugins)
Sensei Free Edition is forever free-of-charge. We strongly recommend you register to keep in touch with updates and new features.
For Hardware Requirements please see this page:
Installing Sensei (os-sensei plugin) is a simple three step process.
- Installing the vendor repository plugin os-sunnyvalley, which hosts the actual plugin and dependency packages
- Installing the actual os-sensei plugin
- Doing the initial configuration wizard
Whole installation takes 1-3 minutes depending on your bandwidth and on your hardware resources.
Installing the vendor repository plugin: os-sunnyvalley
- Go to your OPNsense web UI and login as the root user.
- From the left pane, Click on System --> Firmware --> Plugins
- In the Plugins page, ou can view the all plugins either they are installed or not. Locate the “os-sunnyvalley” plug-in from the list:
- Click on the plus “+” button, to install the plugin.
Installing the actual os-sensei plugin:
After installing os-sunnyvalley vendor plugin, you should be able to see the os-sensei plugin in the list of available plugins. If you cannot, please refresh your web UI page.
Now you can install “os-sensei”. Click the plus “+” button to install it.
If you couldn’t see Sensei menu yet, you may refresh web UI to verify installation. You should also see the Sensei appearing in your OPNsense menu in the left side of the page.
After verifying the installation, you can follow the simple initial configuration steps to finalize Sensei install.
Initial Configuration Wizard
To start using Sensei, you will need to go through the Wizard which will guide you to start with the best initial configuration.
To start your "Initial Configuration Wizard";
- Click Sensei from the left menu,
- Click on any Sensei sub-menu. The wizard will start.
- Accept the End User License Agreement (Scroll & read the terms to get to the next button).
- Click "Next" and get to the "Interface Selection" section.
- Select the Ethernet Interfaces to protect. To do that, click on an interface and use the right/left arrow buttons to move it to protected/unprotected interfaces combo box.
- Click "Next" and get to the "Cloud Reputation" section.
The Cloud Threat Intelligence data is queried real time when anyone makes a connection through your network. It enables us to respond to malware and wireless outbreaks in real time and very fast.
The engine processes the request, queries to "SVN Cloud" in real-time and decides whether it will be blocked or allowed. We check against 140+ Million Websites, under 120+ categories in milliseconds.
Cloud Threat Intel settings let you;
- Enable/Disable the cloud reputation & web categorization engine
- Set local domain settings to be excluded from cloud queries
Sensei CLI (Security)
- Set your TCP Service password. This password protects the command line based CLI access to the packet engine. It is highly recommended to set this with a secure one.
- Click "Next" and get to the "Updates" .
Updates & Health Check
Sensei uses OPNsense package system to deliver its updates. Configure the way you receive your Sensei updates as you feel convenient.
- Self Health Check: If enabled, "Self Health Check" monitors the system's memory, CPU, disk usage and core services if they're working correctly, and raises alerts if anything goes wrong. Self Health Check also stops the relevant services if they're consuming excessive system resources.
- Check for Updates Automatically: Checks automatically for the updates and creates a notification on the status page.
- Update Databases and Threat Intelligence Data Automatically: Checks automatically for the updates and creates a notification on the status page .
- Enable Generation of Support Data: If enabled, Sensei collects supporting data during unusual events and crashes. You can share this data while opening a ticket with us.
Sensei supports up to 1000 concurrent users on an everyday PC. You can set your Sensei installation's capacity here.
You can get detailed info about suggested hardware on Getting Started > Hardware Requirements
Click the Finish button to save your initial configuration data and start using Sensei.